zondag 24 oktober 2010

Technology in TPACK

I was browsing the internet one day and found the following clip: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/7527.flv. It is a video from the bbc about a new teacher training centre in Scotland that has lessons about playing outdoors in the forest. When I saw this I was wondering about this in relation with TPACK. For one thing I find it hard to place this in the TPACK model. It is a sort of an aid to learning so it could be placed under the technology part but it is also a means of learning so it could also be placed in my opinion as an pedagogy. If you have got some good ideas about this please help because I am really struggling with this.
Another thing that I found interesting about this video is that towards the end, it is said that they want to let children experience the real world and not just from a computer screen. I really see the point in this. I think children nowadays especially those who live in the city don’t go out in the woods to learn for examples about what kinds of trees there are. At least I cant remember ever going outdoors in elementary school. I assume that going outside falls under the technology part, because it is an aid to learning or an activity, which brings me to the next issue I wanted to discuss. In the TPACK model there is a great emphasis on technology. That with technology is not only meant a blog like this but also a blackboard is told when you start to use this model. This is however easily forgotten further on. You really start to think more about electronic devices and not about other tools that are available. I think maybe this is a little bit misleading about the model. Maybe a more broader term would have covered everything better like 'means' or 'activities'. But please give me your view on this, because maybe I understand the model all wrong.

1 opmerking:

  1. Hi Lotte,
    Thanks for this video! I showed it to my daughter of 4 (almost 5) and she said
    - he, this is in English
    - is it about playing outside?
    - I love to play outside
    - Now can I play a game on your computer?
    I am telling you this because I think that technology is everywhere. It's not just a computer, a digital camera, an interactive whiteboard, etc., it's also the knife that the cildren are using in the videoclip. And maybe the little chick in the clip can also seen as technology for education. For my children (2, 3 and "5") everything is interesting and everything is seen as something to learn about. And for me that's a big part of the T in the TPACK model..

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen